MENU
HOME

ABOUT US »

VISIT MONTENEGRO
ABOUT MONTENEGRO

CITIES & REGIONS »

MONASTERIES

 

Churches and Cathedrals

 

Mosques and Towers

NATURE »

CLIMATE & WEATHER
GASTRONOMY »
LEISURE & FUN »

TRANSPORT »

ACCOMMODATION »
TRANSFERS
CRUISING
EXCURSIONS »

 

contact

 

Tel: + 382 78 119 110
Cell. + 382 67 733 177

 

E-mail: info@adrialine.me

 

Rezevici Monastery Small Church

The Monastery of Rezevici

 

 

 

The Monastery of Rezevici is located alongside the road, between Sveti Stefan and Petrovac. According to oral tradition, it was built on the location of a pagan temple from ancient times. The Monastery has three churches. The Church of Assumption of the Holy Mother of God was erected in 1226 by the Serbian king, Stefan the First-Crowned. The Church of the Archdeacon Stefan was erected in 1351 by Tsar Dusan, when he recognized the noble status of the rulers of Pastrovici and gave them a Code according to which their tribal court of Bankada ruled over the Drobni pijesak. This church was destroyed in the early 19th century and a larger one was built in its place. The largest church in the monastery complex is the Church of the Holy Trinity, which was erected in 1770, while its bell tower was added in 1839. The dormitory of the Monastery was built in the mid-19th century.

 

The Monastery features preserved fresco paintings from the 16th century, with layers dating back to the 13th century, valuable icons and church relics, which remain from its seven centuries long history, during which the monastery was plundered on several occasions by different conquerors, who destroyed a number of old books and documents. In 1860, the statute of Pastrovici, which is considered to be the last version of the amended Dusan’s Code, was discovered in Rezevici. On that occasion, it was taken from there and is now on display in Zagreb. As it is today, the Monastery of Rezevici has always been located alongside the major roads, and a written record testifies that a pillar complete with a special niche for a jug of wine was placed here, as a sign of hospitality for the travellers passing by.

 

According to some inscriptions, the refectory already existed in the 18th C. It was demolished, together with other church buildings, but renovated in the middle of the last century. Today's refectory has been renovated, and it fulfills its purpose completely. Although there is no monastery treasury (it was burnt down in 1941), cultural and historical objects have been collected and plans for its re-establishment are being made. Some of the valuable objects preserved in this Monastery are: The icon of the Virgin Mary from 1693, a Four Gospel Book from 1835, a big processional cross from 1850, a tabernacle from the middle of the 19th century...

 

Because of its treasures and its historical value, the monastery complex of Rezevici has been listed as a cultural-historical monument of Montenegro, and is under legal protection.

 

 

 

 

Rezevici Monastery Complex

 

 

Rezevici Monastery Dormitory

 

 

Rezevici Monastery Iconostasis

 

 

Rezevici Monastery Frescoes

 

 

Rezevici Monastery The icon of the Virgin Mary

 

 

Rezevici Monastery drinking fountain

Rezevici Monastery
Savina Monastery Garden
travel info  
United Kingdom France Italy Germany Russia Czech Montenegro
Rezevici Monastery Montenegro
početna o nama servisi Destinations Transport Contacts

 

 

HOME | ABOUT US | SERVICES | DESTINATIONS | TRANSPORT| CONTACTS
Copyright © Adria Line DMC 2016 | www.adria.travel