Churches and Cathedrals


Mosques and Towers








Tel: + 382 78 119 110
Cell. + 382 67 733 177




Monastery Praskvica Path of Jegor

The Monastery of Praskvica



The Monastery of Praskvica, near Sveti Stefan, is one of the oldest and most important monasteries in the Coastal Region. The year of its establishment is considered to be 1413, which is supported by the preserved charter of the ruler of Zeta, Balsa III, which mentions the construction of the Church of St Nicholas. According to oral tradition, however, the Monastery is much older, and it is believed that its Church of the Holy Trinity was constructed in the year 1050. The surviving frescos of the Church of Holy Trinity date back to 1681, and the church is surrounded by a cemetery. Praskvica has had a school for a very long period of time, one of the oldest in the Coastal Region. The Church of St Nicholas is the main church of the Monastery complex, and it was erected on the foundations of the church built by Balsa III. The library and archives of the monastery are very rich, and it possesses a treasury, which preserves many valuable relics. It is interesting that the Monastery was named after a nearby spring, whose water has the aroma of the local variety of peach, locally called praskva, which used to be widespread in this area.


A plaque erected by the villagers near the monastery, next to the monument to the soldiers who died in the World War II, draws attention to a touching story from the times long past. The plaque reads: “This road from the sea to this place was built over a period of ten years by the hand of Jegor Stroganov, a monk from Russia, in the early 19th century – Grateful villagers 1971”. According to oral tradition, the one-handed man, Jegor Stroganov, arrived in the late 18th century on a ship that came to our shore from distant Russia. His final destination was the Monastery of Praskvica in Pastrovici. The newcomer was welcomed by the then Abbot of the monastery, Sava Ljubisa. The Head of the Monastery granted Jegor’s wish and allowed him to stay and live there, and Jegor undertook the task of building the rocky road from the sea to the village of Celobrdo, vowing to live in silence. According to local tales, a few years later, a young monk, named Jelisej came to the monastery from Russia. After some years, Jelisej became seriously ill and, on his deathbed, to everybody’s surprise, he asked to see old Jegor. The sick monk removed his hood in front of Jegor, who realised that it was his beloved daughter Jelisaveta is in front of him. After her death, Jegor continued to work until the road was finally finished and then he retired to his cell never to leave it until his death. On his deathbed, he confessed his sins to another monk, revealing his tragic destiny. Jegor Stroganov had been a respectable officer in imperial Russia, who had lost his left arm defending his daughter’s honour in a duel. In the meantime, his daughter disappeared, and he came to the Adriatic coast and the Monastery of Praskvica, which was built in the 11th century, in search of her.

Monastery of Praskvica



St. Nicolas Church Praskvica Monastery



Praskvica Monastery Iconostasis



Inside Praskvica Monastery



Praskvica Monastery The icon



Praskvica Monastery Frescoes

Praskvica Monastery
Monastery Praskvica Inscription Jegor Stroganov
travel info  
United Kingdom France Italy Germany Russia Czech Montenegro
Praskvica Monastery Montenegro
početna o nama servisi Destinations Transport Contacts



Copyright © Adria Line DMC 2016 |